Skip to main content

Event Planning: Food,
Beverage, and Alcohol Service

If you're planning to serve food at your event, download and complete a Temporary Food Service Permit Application from Temporary Food Facility Requirements before entering your info in TAP.

Alcohol on campus

In order for alcoholic beverages to be served at student organization events, specific requirements must be met and university guidelines and policies must be followed.

If your group is planning to serve alcohol or malt beverages at a group function, you must use a university-approved third party licensed beverage server.

Barbecues/ grills on Library Walk

If you need to rent a grill, you can reserve them through Price Center Reservations. The cost is $40 per day and is due prior to the event. If you need a grill for another part of campus, you can rent one from a pre-approved vendor listed in the approved other vendor list.

Classroom meetings

Food is not allowed in classrooms (Center Hall, Peterson, H&SS, etc.) without special approval from the Registrar’s Office.

Food and beverages

If you are planning to serve food or beverages at your event, make sure that it is permitted by the facility. If your organization is preparing the food or serving food at your event, a principal member must complete a Temporary Food Facility Permit on TAP no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the event date.

If your food will be prepared by a restaurant or caterer not located on the UCSD campus, you must obtain a Certificate of Liability Insurance from the vendor for at least $1,000,000 coverage naming the Regents of the University of California as Additional Insured. The Certificate of Liability Insurance must be submitted to your advisor/ event manager no later than 14 days prior to the event date and must reflect the correct language and coverage amounts. See the sample Certificate of Liability form (PDF).

Internal potlucks that are not advertised to the public, and are open to org members only, are allowed. Price Center allows potlucks only in its meeting and conference room locations.


Student organizations are encouraged to use UC San Diego Catering, (858) 534-3688, for their catering needs. They are located on the Revelle campus in the Housing, Dining and Hospitality building. When placing your catering order online, enter "RSO" in the index field to indicate you are using funds listed on a TAP page.

UCSD Catering and other UC San Diego restaurants (such as Subway, Croutons, Blue Pepper, etc.) are approved food service establishments located on UC San Diego property and are not required to submit a separate Certificate of Liability Insurance. They can also be the fastest, easiest, and (often) cheapest way to go.

Vendor insurance

Organizations may also choose to use other vendors that follow food, health and safety regulations set by the State of California. These vendors must submit a current Certificate of Liability Insurance naming the Regents of the University of California as 'Additional Insured' for no less than $1,000,000 coverage, and this must be turned in to your CSI advisor or event facility manager at least 14 days prior to the event date.

In addition, if a vehicle will be used by the vendor in order to transport or provide a service on University property, automobile liability insurance must also be included in the coverage.

The Certificate Holder must be named as:

The Regents of the University of California
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093