Skip to main content

Planning Your Student Org Event with TAP

Here's how to plan and enter your student organization's event using the Triton Activities Planner (TAP). Use the checklist below to make sure you've covered everything.

What Types of Events are Student Organizations Allowed to Host? 

Please review the UC San Diego Return to Learn website to learn more about coordinating in-person on campus events. Campus-specific masking guidelines must be followed.

What Steps Does My Student Organization Need to Take to Plan and Get Approval for an On-Campus Event or Meeting?

All aspects of student organization events are coordinated and approved via the Triton Activities Planner. In addition, the Events & Activities Intake Form serves as a tool for campus event approvals during COVID. For many student organization events, completion of both forms will be required. Visit the Student Organizations COVID Events & Operations Guidance for current information about student organization event planning processes.

What Guidance Should be Followed for Off-Campus Events?

All off-campus private events hosted by Registered Student Organizations must follow local and county guidelines.These events do not require a TAP.

Please view the Return to Learn website for more information.


All student organizations hosting virtual events, with the exception of virtual meetings and virtual dance practices, must submit event details to CSI. 

  • Virtual Events Using University Funding
    • Must be TAP’d 21 days prior to the event.
    • Once you begin TAP, please select “Virtual Event” under the “Event Category".

Don’t forget to publicize your student organization virtual events through UC San Diego’s Virtual Student Union! Submit your events here.

Who can submit a TAP for an event?

Students listed as principal members of registered student organizations may submit a TAP:

  • Review the TAP checklist below to make sure you know what orders/ reservations you may need to make before you use TAP.

  • Then use the online Triton Activities Planner (TAP) to plan and enter your event.

When do I need to TAP?

All on-campus events (with the exception of simple meetings, simple dance rehearsals and information-only tables) require a TAP submission.

TAP deadlines

You must begin the TAP process 21 or more days before your event date.

Each of the following items must be included at that time:

  1. Event time

  2. Facility confirmation with corresponding reservation I.D. numbers, if applicable

  3. Event description, and

  4. Confirmed funding information

Any remaining TAP modules or written documentation of funding sources (split funding forms, etc.) must be completed and turned in no less than 14 days before the event date.

TAP checklist

Use the checklist below to find out what orders/ reservations you may need to make BEFORE you use TAP. Make sure you record all reservation/ confirmation numbers you receive with your orders.

Funding sources and procedures

Location of your event

Find out how to reserve a facility. Record your confirmation/ reservation info to enter in TAP.

Technical requirements

Read about Tech, Sound, and Setup. Record your confirmation/ reservation info to enter in TAP.

Food and beverages (including alcohol)

Marketing, publicity, and posting

Find resources and links for where and how to publicize your event.

Carnival games, inflatables, etc.

All student organizations are required to use the university payment processes on TAP when ordering carnival games, inflatables, amusements and dunk tanks. This provides additional liability protections to student organizations and the University.

Use the Approved Other Vendor List.

Entertainment/ performance agreements

Performance agreements are for contracting with performers only (speaker, band, DJ, dance group, etc.), not for businesses or individuals providing a service or merchandise. Use the Contract Information Worksheet (PDF) to gather information to be used and entered into TAP.

Note: The Student Life Business Office cannot process payments to UC employees.

Security and safety

Some events require licensed security guards. To determine the number of guards required, consult with a facility manager, event production staff, or student organization advisor about your event logistics. See Security and Safety at Student Events.

Insurance and liability waivers

The University of California has purchased an insurance program to cover Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) for most on-campus events. The university pays for the coverage, but RSOs are still responsible for making sure their on-campus event is registered with the insurance carrier.

While in the process of submitting your event to TAP, you will visit the insurance website and determine if your event information must be submitted to the insurance company, and whether or not your event participants must sign individual event liability waivers. See details at Required Insurance and Liability Waivers.

In addition to event insurance, a current Certificate of Liability Insurance is required of all off-campus catering vendors, in addition to other vendors as specified by the University. See details at Required Insurance and Liability Waivers.

Showing films and videos

Start planning early for film or video screenings. Find out what you need to know about obtaining permissions or licenses from the Swank Motion Picture, Inc. Copyright Brochure for Colleges or Universities. Contact your student organization advisor for more information.

Event sponsors

Consider having two or more organizations or departments sponsor your program and share the cost and responsibilities. 

Recommended statement for events with event sponsors:

The following statement is recommended to be verbally stated at an event and included on any advertisement (i.e. flyers, websites, or public communication) when an event is sponsored by on- or off-campus entities:

"The views expressed at these events do not necessarily reflect the views of the sponsors or of the University of California, San Diego. As a public institution of higher education, UCSD supports and protects the free expression of a variety of ideas and perspectives, which is vital to a learning community."


To obtain a quote for special events parking, refer to How to Arrange Parking for Campus Visitors and Guests or visit the office located in the Hopkins Parking Structure. When using the website to place your order with TAP funds, enter 'for TAP' in the index # field.

You need to enter your parking order in TAP at least 14 or more days prior to the event.

Printing using Imprints

Imprints is an on-campus print and document service that can be used for:

  • Flyers
  • Programs
  • Posters and Banners

See Imprints locations and hours.

Fundraising events/ raffles for outside charities

Read about Fundraising Events for Outside Charities if you plan to hold a raffle and/or use the event as a fundraiser for a charity.

Ticket sales

All student organization events held on campus that involve entrance fees or ticket sales must use UCSD Box Office services and staff.

  • The Box Office recharges your organization for the cost of tickets, ticket sellers and takers, and handling charges.
  • Check with facility/ venue contact to determine the venue capacity before contacting the Box Office.
  • Contact the UC San Diego Box Office at to discuss staffing availability, set up Ticketing Agreement, and Event Estimate. 
  • Enter your estimate in TAP.

Other vendors

In order for "Other Vendor" items to be paid for, you MUST provide:


After you submit your TAP, your advisor may contact you to set up a meeting. Reach out to your advisor to schedule an appointment if you need help.

contact an advisor